Starpoints are one of the most valuable types of points for a few reasons. For example, since the merger with Marriott, you can transfer Starpoints to Marriott at a 1:3 ratio. However, the main reason Starpoints are so revered is their level of flexibility. You can transfer Starpoints to over 30 airlines at a 1:1 ratio with a 5,000 mile bonus for every 20,000 points transferred. Not surprisingly, SPG points are one of the more difficult currencies to earn. Here are some methods for earning Starwood Preferred Guest points.
SPG Credit Card Sign-Up Bonuses
As with most points currencies, the easiest way to earn points fast is through a sign-up bonus. Now through April 5, 2017, there are two amazing offers on the SPG credit cards from American Express.
The offer is usually 25,000 points so now is the best time to get one or both of these cards:
- Personal Card: Earn 25,000 Starpoints after spending $3,000 in the first 3 months. Earn
an additional 10,000 Starpoints after spending $2,000 more in the first 6 months.
- Business Card: Earn 25,000 Starpoints after spending $5,000 in the first 3 months. Earn an additional 10,000 Starpoints after spending $3,000 more in the first 6 months.
You can get 70,000 SPG points by signing up for both offers (if you can handle the spending requirements!).
Note: Offers may no longer be available. Click here for the must up-to-date sign-up bonuses.
SPG Credit Card Everyday Spending
In addition to the sign-up bonuses, you will get one SPG point for every dollar spent. After meeting the spending requirements, this is an additional 5,000 SPG points on the personal card and 8,000 SPG points on the business card. If you stay at a Starwood or Marriott property, you’ll earn 2x points on all purchases.
Starwood And Marriott Hotel Stays
You’ll earn Starwood points or Marriott points (3 Marriott points = 1 SPG point) whenever you book a hotel stay with your rewards number. The number of points you earn depends on your elite status:
- Preferred Guest: 2 points for every dollar spent
- Gold Preferred Guest: 3 points for every dollar spent and a welcome gift (points is one of the options)
- Platinum Preferred Guest: 3 points for every dollar spent and a welcome gift (points is one of the options)
- Member: 10 points (or 5 points if staying at a Residence Inn or Towneplace Suites) for every dollar spent. This equals up to 3.33 Starpoints per dollar spent.
- Silver Elite: Same as a regular member, but with a 20% point bonus on eligible stays.
- Gold Elite: Same as a regular member, but with a 25% point bonus on eligible stays.
- Platinum Elite: Same as a regular member, but with a 50% point bonus on eligible stays and an arrival gift of bonus points.
Earn Starpoints Through Promotions
SPG has frequent promotions that can allow you to earn more points on your stay. I always recommend signing up for them even if you don’t have a vacation in mind. I signed up for the Double Take promotion last year and completely forgot about it. It was exciting to see double points on a recent stay at the Aloft Atlanta Downtown! Right now you can earn double or triple Starpoints at select properties through SPG’s Earn Your Dreams promotion. Check back on SPG’s homepage since they are frequently running different promotions that can help you earn points faster.
Earn Starpoints with Uber
This is another promotion I signed up for a while ago and forgot about until I saw the points show up in my account. After linking your accounts, you can start earning Starpoints with Uber after completing a qualifying stay during the calendar year. You’ll earn:
- 1 Starpoint for every two dollars spent on Uber fare
- 2 Starpoints for every dollar spent on Uber fare during your SPG stays
“During your SPG stays” includes the entire day of check-out which is great for earning points on Uber rides to and from the airport.
Earn Starpoints With Airline Partners
Delta – Crossover Rewards
This promotion is available to SPG Gold and Platinum Preferred Guests. After registering, earn 1 Starpoint for every dollar spent on eligible Delta flights. SPG Platinum members also get priority check-in, priority boarding, and a free checked bag on Delta flights.
Emirates – Your World Rewards
Similar to Delta Crossover Rewards, this promotion is for Gold and Platinum guests. After registering, earn 1 Starpoint for every dollar spent on eligible Emirates flights. SPG Platinum members also get priority check-in, priority boarding, and e-gate access at the airport.
China Eastern – Eastern Explorer Rewards
This promotion is also for Gold and Platinum guests. After registering, receive 1 Starpoint for every 4 Eastern Miles Points on China Eastern flights. SPG Platinum members also get priority check-in, priority boarding, priority luggage handling, access to the China Eastern business class lounge, and excess luggage allowance.
While it may seem difficult to earn SPG Starpoints, there are a lot of options out there, especially for Gold and Platinum guests. If you have a particular redemption in mind and are still short on Starpoints, you can try calling and asking for courtesy points to complete your booking. There are also reports of American Express offering retention bonuses of up to 10,000 Starpoints when you call to cancel your card. By taking advantage of the various promotions offered by Starwood, the SPG Starpoints can really add up!